As with any divorce, there are many issues that need to be resolved before the dissolution of marriage. With an uncontested divorce, there should be extra care taken to make certain that no potential matter is glossed over for a quick settlement.
Stern Perkoski Mendez created a checklist of common issues that should be addressed in most divorces. It is our hope the below Uncontested Divorce Checklist will assist you through the process of divorce in Evanston, Chicago and Illinois. This list is far from exhaustive, though it should provide you with a solid foundation to see if your divorce is truly uncontested.
Due to the complexity of custody and parenting issues in Illinois, this list is for couples without minor children. It is always advisable to hire an attorney when considering divorce. Please feel free to contact Stern Perkoski Mendez in Evanston, Chicago, Lake Forest and Oak Brook with any questions you may have.
Uncontested Divorce Checklist
Alimony (Maintenance or Spousal Support)
- Will you or your spouse pay the other alimony?
- If so, how much and for how long?
- Will the spouse paying maintenance take out a life insurance policy to secure his or her obligation?
- Will you and your spouse keep the financial accounts in your own names?
- Do you and your spouse know the value of each other’s individual bank accounts?
- Will the joint account be divided equally?
- Will you and your spouse keep the retirement accounts in your own names?
- Do you and your spouse know the value of each other’s retirement accounts?
- Will the marital portion of the retirement accounts be divided equally?
- Has all personal property been divided between you and your spouse, including marital property?
- Are there any items of personal property that both you and your spouse want to keep?
- Is there a plan for distributing the remaining personal property between you?
- Do you and your spouse share ownership of any real estate?
- Do you and your spouse know the current value of that real estate?
- Who will keep the real estate?
- How will the party giving up ownership be compensated?
- If there is a mortgage, can it be refinanced to remove your or your spouse’s name?
- If the real estate will be sold, how will the proceeds be divided?
- Do you or your spouse own any cars or other vehicles?
- Are the vehicles in your individual names, or are they owned jointly?
- Who will keep which vehicle?
- If there are liens on the vehicles, can they be refinanced to remove one spouse’s name?
- Were any debts incurred during the marriage?
- Are they still outstanding?
- How will those outstanding debts be divided?
- If you and your spouse will remain jointly liable, what will the payment plan look like?
- Do you and/or your spouse have any outstanding tax liabilities?
- How will the tax liabilities be divided?
- Do you and your spouse each have your own health insurance policy?
- If not, will one of you require COBRA?
- How will the costs of COBRA be divided?
Contact a Divorce Lawyer in Evanston, Chicago, Lake Forest and Oak Brook
If you are unsure whether your divorce case can be considered uncontested, contact Stern Perkoski Mendez. We are happy to review your case and provide our opinion.
Request a free consultation online or call us at (847) 868-9584. We can meet with you in our offices in Evanston, Chicago, Lake Forest and Oak Brook, or at another location.